Monday, December 14, 2015

Letter Designs

Welcome, beautiful person!
Here are a couple of pages from my Big Old Sketchbook.
Big Old Sketchbook: Pages 137 & 138. Pencil. Steve Franklin, 2014
This is a sketchbook that I carried around for awhile, so sorry if the pencil looks a little smudged.  In the future, I may have to fix the pencil pages to avoid this happening.  I enjoyed designing these letters.  I hope this two page spread inspires you to design your own letters.  It may be fun to look at illuminated manuscripts to get ideas and realize just how beautiful letters can be.  I bet you could design your own beautiful letters.

I may just sit down and design some more letters.  It's quite fun.  Anyway, if you're not sure what to do in a sketchbook page, try this.

I recently showed someone the last painting I completed. It had the words "See Me" and was filled with abstract letter-like shapes as the subject.  That person considered it a graffiti painting, like there was something wrong with it.

I refuse to put such limitations upon myself.  Limitations are like a heavy weight you carry on your own shoulders.  I choose not to carry this weight.  Therefore, I am free to do what I want. After all, I know what I like.  If someone is not ready for viewing beautiful words and letters, then so be it.

Thanks for reading and I hope you appreciate this page.

Take care,

-Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment