Thursday, December 3, 2015

Acrylic Paint Markers

Why. Zeta Sketchbook, Page 21. Pencil & Acrylic. Steve Franklin, 2014
Here, I started with a pencil sketch then layered transparent colors with Liquitex acrylic paint markers, then finished the line work with black and white Molotow acrylic paint markers. The Liquitex markers are okay, but the set I bought had only transparent markers.  I prefer to apply transparent colors with a brush, or airbrush.  I really enjoy the Molotow markers, because the colors are opaque--ideal for line work.  The Molotow markers I own are mostly 2mm fine bullet tips.  I do own one white and one black 1mm extra fine tip marker. The Molotow markers have a good flow with one problem I've noticed--the colors seem to rub off from the surface compared to regular acrylic paint, so most of the time, I add a clear glaze on top once I've finished laying down the color from these markers (once dry) to add permanency. Maybe I've just spoiled myself because I mostly use Golden Acrylics, which are awesome!

By the way, this sketchbook is a Zeta series from Stillman & Birn.  They make very nice sketchbooks.  The Big Old Sketchbook is one from Dick Blick which have thinner pages, but over 200 pages, front & back.  Anytime I want to paint with acrylic, I find that adding a layer of acrylic gesso before painting really brightens the colors.  Just a thin layer of gesso works. Sometimes, I sketch with pencil directly on the paper then add a thin layer of gesso, which lightens the pencil marks.

I tend to like building up transparent layers of color (glazing).

I love texture!  Put some funk in your drawings and paintings!

The Golden Mean: I tend to use the golden mean when I doodle and sketch.  I use it to make decisions when drawing objects, abstract shapes, spacing, dividing, proportioning, placing, and such.  This happens quickly, and it just flows.
Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment