Thursday, December 17, 2015

Unity, Rhythm, Simplicity.

Big Old Sketchbook pages 141 & 142. Mixed Media. Steve Franklin, 2014.
Hello, wonderful person!  Welcome.

Above are pages 141 and 142 of my Big Old Sketchbook. I combined ballpoint pen (the kind that bleeds some when you wet it with a brush), bleeding art tissue and watercolor. I really like the texture, sense of movement and vitality that comes from repeated strokes a ballpoint pen.  To provide a sense of unity and structure, I implied large, simple shapes across separate smaller ones with pen lines while at the same time, doing so with color on other large areas. At the same time, I'm interested in rhythmic movement. Some ideas for shapes come from the negative spaces left over from cut shapes, letters, rocks and natural things.  Have you noticed there are dog faces in the image on the right?  Well, those may be easy to find.  How about the one on the left?  It may take awhile to find.

Sometimes I like to just start scribbling on a page and wait for symbols and ideas to reveal themselves to me.  These things I develop, clarify, emphasize and sometimes repeat.

Well, I hope this inspires you to do your own page: try scribbling, or cut various shapes from paper.  Then take those shapes and cut shapes into them. Then analyze those shapes and divide them if necessary, arranging, grouping the shapes to create interesting shapes in the spaces between these shapes. Take a picture of these as a reference for an idea, or glue them down.  Try colored paper. Sketch these arrangements.  Draw these arrangements with pen then scribble and shade then color this. Then go back and unify your arrangements using scrubbed lines with a pen, or group areas with simplicity of color.  Am I getting too deep with this?

I like to look at Marc Chagall paintings and study them, trying to think of his sketching process.

Well, I guess sometimes I write too much.

Remember, when you're sketching in a sketchbook, the most important things to value is your own personal take on things.

Stay Creative!

Bye for now,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment