Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Letters: This time in color

Welcome dear viewer!

Here's a page with simple letters from my Big Old Sketchbook.

Big Old Sketchbook, page 40. Mixed media. Steve Franklin, 2014.
I enjoy working with color.  Layers and texture add dimension and depth.  I like how this page creates a sense of three dimensional movement.

There's an idea for a page.  Focus on layers.  Try overlapping transparent shapes & colors, adding texture.  You can make some shapes opaque by covering with white.

If I recall, I cut out a stack of bleeding art tissue into a simple cross shape. The green crosses, were, by the way, originally blue. I used rubber cement as a block out, all stringy and painterly between watercolor washes.  It looks like I used Daniel Smith watercolors: Quinacridone Burnt Orange, Nickel Azo Yellow, Quinacridone Rose, and perhaps New Gamboge or Hansa Yellow--back in 2014.  I'm pretty sure the blue is Phthalo Blue.  Oh, there's also green in there: uh, not sure which one.

Often times, when I'm in a creative mood, I become an "art animal" using instinct more than thinking.  
Then it takes awhile to figure out just how I did something by looking over it.

The most important thing you gotta do when you fill your journal pages? Have fun no matter the outcome.

Thanks for viewing.

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment