Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Observational Sketches

Hi.
Here are observational sketches of people in art class. I like to draw with a light brown colored pencil when I am sketching people much better than using a pencil.  I think this is because I can't really erase with colored pencil. Then I add color.  Sometimes, I color with colored pencils, but I prefer to use a paintbrush.  The page on the right is colored with Derwent Inktense pencils.  I like the colors available in these pencil sets, plus all I have to do is use a wet brush to create a watercolor effect.  The difference is that ink is supposed to be permanent and shouldn't lift if rewetting is necessary for layered washes.
Big Old Sketchbook, pages 101 & 102, Steve Franklin, 2014.

Big Old Sketchbook, pages 107 & 108, Steve Franklin, 2014.
In the above pages, I did blind contour, also known as pure contour portraits then colored them using Intense and watercolors.  Pure contour drawing occurs when you use a single long line without looking at the paper.  They are really fun to do in a sketchbook.
Yay!
Take care,
-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment