Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Construction Paper Collage

Well, what can I say.

I like making simple cut paper collage. Sometimes I limit myself to certain proportions of each color then force myself to use every bit of each color.  It helps me to focus on relationships between simple shapes and other shapes, the ever changing empty spaces newly created while arranging and rearranging (figure to ground relationship), each color, and just composition in general.

The other fun thing I like to do is interpret shapes. I see the following: a worm or a razor blade, a one-toothed witch, a bird perched on a branch, the side view of a horse's head, etc.

Mostly, making a simple collage just helps to relax me and relieve stress.  When my arrangement is complete, I just take a photo of it with my phone to use as a reference when I glue each piece down with regular school glue (Elmer's).

Big New Sketchbook, page 26. Collage. Steve Franklin, 2016.
Thanks for viewing, and have a wonderful evening!
-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment