Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Messing With Color

Hi.
Here I'm just messing around with cheap acrylic paints.

Basically, this is what I call a "quick fill page".  I like to fill all my sketchbook pages, so some days, I go back to the blank pages in my sketchbook and quickly fill them up with something.  Or some days, I go back to pages that somehow look incomplete, and I'll just touch them up enough to look complete.  Sometimes this means just applying a fancy border to a page.  Other times, this involves completely transforming a bland page into something beautiful. I just have a need to make my sketchbooks worth looking at from beginning to end.

Well, this is just a quick fill page, so I just started with a thin coat of acrylic gesso followed by some quick sketching with a color loaded brush.  In this instance, like when I start many paintings, I used a big brush.  When I paint, I always have a dampened cloth and a bowl of water ready.  I tell my students that to paint, one must always be aware of what is on the brush.

Anyway, here it is:
Big New Sketchbook, page 32. Acrylic. Steve Franklin, 2016.
As you can see, I like messing around with color.

Thanks for viewing, and have a wonderful day!

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment