Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Cut Paper Collage, Writing & Spiral

Hi.
Here are a couple of pages from my current sketchbook.
Big New Sketchbook, pages 46 & 47. Steve Franklin, 2016.
On the left, I cut out black construction paper shapes to arrange, rearrange and glue down on the page. Sometimes the figures and the empty spaces reverse roles.  I always consider the empty (negative) space when composing.  Both the figures and the ground is of equal importance.
On the right, I sprayed a simple spiral design over a paged that I had filled with writing. I used an airbrush with transparent acrylic paint (Golden High Flow mixed with Transparent Airbrush Extender).
Hope you enjoy the page, and I hope it inspires you to do your own collages in your sketchbook.  Sometimes a simple black on white scheme enables you to study shape to space relationship. Most of the time, overall simple shape greatly enhances your compositions no mater how complex your details are.
Thanks for viewing and have a great day!
-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment